Finding Your Ikigai (sense of purpose)
Ikigai is a Japanese philosophy for discovering your purpose and building self-awareness. Your ikigai is something that gives you a sense of purpose. It sustains you and matches with your heartfelt desires and personal definition of success. It’s not always about goals or accomplishments.
In episode 29 of The Incrementalist podcast, you will learn:
1) What ikigai means from a traditional perspective compared to the Westernized version
2) The limits and benefits of the Ikigai Venn Diagram, which includes four elements:
- What you love, e.g. your activities or interests that trigger flow
- What you're good, e.g. your skills, talents, expertise, knowledge
- What the world needs, e.g. what you can contribute to your community, your group, and your market in terms of skills, talent, expertise, knowledge
- What you can be paid for, e.g. earning real money to meet your needs and be financially sustainable
- Passion is what you love and are good at
- Mission is what you love and what the world needs
- Profession is what you’re good at and what you can get paid for
- Vocation is what the world needs and what you can get paid for
- My long-time friend and piano teacher, Sebastian Brian Mehr, just released his debut album, Olemus.
- His ikigai is in composing and making original music. It’s what he loves, what he’s good at, and what his audience needs.
- If he can make a sustainable income through this path, all four elements will intersect.
- It’s ideal to have them all, but you can usually find purpose with one or all of the first three.
8) 10 ways to keep finding and experiencing your ikigai:
- Start small
- Let go and release what you don't want
- Aim for harmony and sustainability
- Be present with what is
- Take time to interact with nature
- Keep a healthy diet
- Stay active
- Give thanks for the small victories and gifts you have
- Sleep well for rest, recovery and rejuvenation
- Cultivate a sense of wonder and curiosity
Read the Transcript.
- Héctor García & Francesc Miralles, Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life
- Yukari Mitsuhashi, Ikigai: The Japanese Art of a Meaningful Life
- The Incrementalist podcast, Ep. 15, Evening Routines and Rituals to End Your Day
- The Incrementalist, Ep. 26, Get Stressed the Right Way
- Sebastian Brian Mehr: Album – Olemus; Song – La Nieve (hearnow.com)
Check out the book: The Incrementalist, A Simple Productivity System to Create Big Results in Small Steps
Visit website: www.dyanwilliams.com
Subscribe to productivity e-newsletter
Join our newsletter
Sign up to get updates on blog posts, online courses, bonus tips and exclusive access to Empower Toolkit